For the past month or so, Patriots fans have begged and pleaded for the Patriots to consider making a play with free agent or francise tagged to be defensive end / outside linebacker Julius Players. At first I balked at the idea, epsecially at the idea of trading him for Cassel. But tonight, I received a tip saying that Peppers and the Patriots had mutual interest. Then, rumor came of a radio station in North Carolina reporting that the Patriots have interest in Peppers. I really am doubting the validity of this rumor, but I’ll throw it out there anyways.
- Julius Peppers wants to play for a 3-4 team
- Julius Peppers wants to play for an elite team
- Julius Peppers has never played 3-4 outside linebacker
- The Patriots have less than $7 million in cap space
- The Panthers offered Peppers a near record contract for a defensive player
- There are reportedly four teams with mutual interest in Julius Peppers. The Cowboys, two other NFC teams, and one AFC team.
- The Patriots already have Mike Vrabel, Shawn Crable, Adalius Thomas, and Tully Banta-Cain under contract at outside linebacker, with Pierre Woods a restricted free agent and likely to receive a tender.
- The Patriots are that unnamed AFC team
- The Panthers will franchise Peppers
- The Panthers are unhappy with their current quarterback situation
While I still doubt the Pats will make a move for Peppers, I had to throw this rumor out there. Again, it is completely unconfirmed. 95% of the “tips” I get are complete trash from fans trying to stir something up, but then I saw it floating around other places.
Also, keep in mind, if the Pats were to acquire Peppers, they would have to work out a long term deal to sign him. They could also save cap room by backloading his contract.
Again, take this with a grain of salt until I can get something with a little substance.